Virtual it is something abstract, ie, something that does not exist in the physical environment, the virtualization idea in computer science is to simulate something tax authorities, and with this we can simulate multiple computers within just a physical computer.
Famously every day new technologies emerge and leave our outdated computers or at least outdated. CPUs with amazing processing power, memory with high performance disks and more data storage and faster.
We need both?
Yes, we need much, in fact, the more the better. For different purposes humanity needs “supercomputers” each more powerful and efficient day in order to get higher yield and gain time, not forgetting the importance of energy efficiency. I could explain and provide several examples of this, but it is not the focus of this article, maybe have here the theme the next stop.
And I use all my available processing?
Here we find the key point of the article. You’re probably not using the full capacity of your computer, and you’re probably using less than half of your hardware, unless you have a very old will have some spare hard disk space and a large clearance processing . For such information, please access the task manager, disk management and find out the actual use of your machine.
I have processing power to spare, disk and memory too!
Well, it was like I imagined, considering that most users have left hardware, we can think of a use for it. You can be home user, business, professional or student technology field, whatever, you’ve probably heard about virtualization, it is through it that we can use all capacity of our computers. The following will explain about virtualization with a brief tutorial on how to get the software for virtualization, proceed with installation and configuration of virtual machines, will use the latest technology and free for our example. Get ready for the best, it’s not complicated.
A little about virtualization
Virtual it is something abstract, ie, something that does not exist in the physical environment, the virtualization idea in computer science is to simulate something tax authorities, and with this we can simulate multiple computers within just a physical computer. There are many other segments within the virtualization, but this article is intended to basics, virtualize computers. Virtualization has dominated large corporations and data centers, and is reaching small and medium-sized businesses. By using more efficiently the available resources has economic and environmental issues, requiring less equipment and lower power consumption, which leads to less pollution by waste and use of natural resources.
One of the cons found in ESXi is that not all hardware is compatible. To find out if we possess compatible hardware simply access this link and check the compatibility list. If the hardware is not compatible will cause errors during installation and the tool will not be installed.
Go to the tutorial:
The solution that we use need a fully dedicated server for virtualization, that is, an operating system is not installed, we will install ESXi that it is the software that makes the magic happen. Basically it takes care access that virtual machines are hardware and is very good at their job.
1. Download the ESXi ISO image and vSphere client at this link (to download the files you need to perform an inventory on the site);
2. Burn the .iso image to a disc;
3. Install the vSphere client on the computer that will manage the virtualization server;
4. Give the boot to the server with the CD recorded in step 2;
5. Follow with step by step installation, accept the terms and formatting / partitioning the disk;
6. After installing the server will restart and stop the home screen, press F2 to start the setup, choose a password and after configure the network;
Now for the creation of machines:
1. If you’ve followed the step 3 just open the software installed, you will be faced with the following screen:
2. Enter the IP selected in step 6, along with the username and password;
3. The image below it is the home screen, to create a new virtual machine simply access the menu ” File >> New >> Virtual Machine “:
4. A new window will open, just follow the steps, creating a name for the virtual machine, amount of available processor cores, amount of RAM and network card. Below images with walkthrough:
There, now you know how to create virtual machines. I suggest starting your tests and learning with a small network of three machines:
- Firewall / Proxy: you can use specific distributions at this as pfsense and BrazilFW. Then you can share internet and create QOS filters for better use of your link and to block access to unwanted sites;
- File Server: you can use Windows OS and enable file sharing or use Linux OS-enabled Samba;
- As a third and final machine for a small environment I suggest using a concentrating machine applications requiring larger open times, such as download managers, torrents etc;
Just exercise their creativity and curiosity to find out what this powerful tool can provide. As the progress of comments with questions, criticism, praise and suggestions can develop a next article on this topic with more technical processes and advanced options for use of ESXi